Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Jenn Beasley and Jerick

Jerick (13) and Jenn (41) Beasley will be leaving Monday afternoon (today!) to make our way via Amtrak to Albuquerque from San Clemente, CA (halfway between LA and SD). We are arriving noonish on Tuesday. Jeff (41) and Julia (11) have opted to stay home with the dog (Trekker). J (aka Jerick) and Jenn will be departing early (Friday) to return home in time for Julia's 3rd Annual New Years Eve Party!

We were first introduced to unschooling via the Unschooling Handbook for a bookclub presentation in around 2000/2001. Unschooling sounded wonderful but :) I couldn't trust the process for reading. Oh, how that backfired. We've come a long way from school at homeish to where we are today. If I had to claim a time frame I'd say we've been consciously unschooling for 5 years.

I, Jenn, work at the library a couple days a week as a library page (putting away books). The exposure to resources I wouldn't not have considered looking for along with not having to pay hold or late fees makes this job a thrill for me. I love to quilt, garden, and run but they generally have to take turns in my priorities. One thing I really enjoy is what I call Jacuzzi Morning. Whenever I can, I take a cup of coffee, a pair of sunglasses, and my Kindle and I start my morning by soaking in a jacuzzi. Ahhhh, life is good.

Jerick (13), plays xbox360 live (with an emphasis on single person shooters), Minecraft and enjoys scootering and boogie boarding. There is a new to him game that he's been into lately but he is sleeping so we'll have to ask him later. You may, or may not meet Jerick at ALL, he may be in the room. The train ride and hanging out in the hotel were his motivations for joining me on this trip.

2011 has been the year of conferences for us. Jenn, Jerick and Julia attended Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering (Sandusky, OH) and Life is Good (Vancouver, WA) in May during a 3 week long train trip. Jerick and I attended California Homeschool Network (Ontario, CA) and MineCon (Las Vegas, NV). Julia and I attended Home School California's Adventures in Homeschooling Conference (Sacramento, CA) and Good Vibrations (Del Mar, CA) We're burnt out on the conference experience after all that.

I'm attending Always Learning Live because my favorite event that I've attended to date was Sandra's Unschooling Symposium in Santa Fe. The smaller group format is much more my speed. We'll see how it goes for Jerick.

Travel provided my favorite memories and life experiences from childhood. My goal in 2012 is to offer more travel opportunities for Jerick and Julia without the crutch of a conference destination to push me in that direction.

I'm looking forward to reading all the introductions you all spent time sending in. I have them printed out to read on the train.

See you soon!

~Jenn Beasley aka Jennifer Vaughters Beasley on Facebook


Photo of Jerick taken in November 2011 in Las Vegas, NV. His first time meeting our friends baby girl.


Photo of Jenn taken in November 2011 in Las Vegas, NV drinking coffee by the fountains in Mandalay Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment